Home renovation may be the perfect option for people who always want to live in their ideal house.
Cost of renovation is not a straightforward answer as it would involve a lot of variables, such as the size of the room, what materials you use, the style/decor you opted for, etc.
So I will try my best to explain what it takes to renovate an apartment and how much it can cost
I will also coverthe VAT that applies to them, and how to manage your renovation budget.
What Affects Home Renovation Costs?
You don’t have to give your house a whole makeover—even minor changes like light fixtures or wall tiles might make the significant impact you desire.
Several variables and variations contribute to the bottom line, including:
- Cost of materials
- Underlying issues
- Size of each room
- The renovation size
Cost of Renovating A House Per Square Foot
On average, renovating an apartment costs $10 to $60 per square foot, but it may cost up to $150 per square foot.
It all depends on the room you intend to remodel and where you live.
Kitchens and bathrooms are the most expensive. On the other end are bedrooms, living rooms, and basements.
Urban locations with more significant living expenses may wind up costing twice as much as more rural ones.
How Much Does An Apartment Renovation Cost?
Renovating an apartment is similar to remodelling a home in that you must consider many of the same factors, such as space and money.
The primary distinction is that you must inform and get approval from the residents’ organization before making any changes to the building’s standard features, such as the terrace or windows.
Even if you don’t intend to make such modifications, it’s usually a good idea to check with the residents’ association beforehand to prevent any misunderstandings later.
We suggest contacting a home remodeling firm for recommendations tailored to your budget and requirements.
However, to give you an estimate of how much money you’ll need, we’ve put up a simple cost estimate per square meter for apartment renovations.
You’ll require between $400 and $700 per square meter for a complete refurbishment.
In addition, you should have an emergency reserve of approximately 10% to 20% of your total budget to cover any unexpected expenses.
A complete house makeover may cost anything from $15,000 to $200,000 for a 2,500-square-foot home.
To break down that range even more:
- Low-End Renovations ($15,000 – $45,000) – Low-cost renovations include flooring, trim, landscaping, painting, and countertops replacement.
- Mid-Range Renovation ($46,000 – $70,000) – You’ll probably add a complete kitchen or bath renovation, as well as potentially higher-end flooring, on top of the low-cost choices.
- High-End Renovation ($71,000 – $200,000) – Includes every option from the low- and mid-range renovations, plus high-end or custom appliances and cabinets. With layout modifications, you may need to make some structural changes. Your contractor may add or fix HVAC systems, electrical, plumbing, and foundation repairs.
Multiple Room Renovation
Remodeling several rooms will cost you an average of $20 per square foot. The cost depends mainly on the rooms you’ll like to renovate.
Kitchens can cost more than $100 per square foot due to appliances, cabinetry, and countertops.
On the other hand, Bedrooms may only cost $10 per square foot if they only need paint and flooring.
You must plan carefully and establish a reasonable budget for renovating a single room, several rooms, or the whole home.
Bedroom And Living Room Renovation Costs
Living rooms and bedrooms are often inexpensive remodel projects, costing between $1,500 and$5,500 and requiring just paint and flooring upgrades.
Living rooms, including dens and family rooms, have a greater area and may cost more than $5,000.
The cost of renovating a living room ranges from $1,500 to $5,500 while renovating a bedroom ranges from $1,500 to $3,500.
There are two ways to think about the rooms in your house: moist and dry.
Wet rooms in the home include bathrooms, saunas, kitchens, and certain utility closets since they have water running to them.
These are usually on the more expensive end of a renovation budget.
With one noteworthy exception: the fireplace, dry spaces such as bedrooms and living rooms usually only need paint and flooring.
- The cost of installing a fireplace ranges from $900 to $3,700. However, fireplace renovation isn’t necessary for every home makeover and doesn’t have to be expensive.
- On average, new flooring costs $1,500 to $4,500.
- Painting a room costs from $200 to $900, depending on whether you want to hire a professional painter or paint it yourself.
How Much Does A Kitchen Renovation Cost?
One of the costliest rooms in the home to renovate is the kitchen.
Generally, plumbing and electrical installations and tiling, lighting, furnishings, and electrical appliances are all part of the makeover.
Again, the cost of a kitchen renovation depends on whether you desire a partial or a complete makeover.
Are you aware that the cost of a kitchen countertop may account for up to 20% of the total cost?
The most frequent material used in these buildings is marble, although other options, like bamboo, are more ecologically and economically beneficial.
On average, the cost of a kitchen renovation is $150 per square foot.
Kitchen remodels cost on average $25,200, with homeowners paying anything from $4,000 for modest renovations to $60,000 or more for high-end ones.
Common Kitchen Renovations
Every kitchen renovation budget has a wide variety of choices. Based on the scope of the renovation project, below is a list of some typical tasks.
- Low-Cost Renovations ($5,000 – $30,000) – Includes adding budget-friendly counter extensions and backsplashes, upgrading lighting, trim, faucets, paints, and tearing down non-load-bearing walls.
- Mid-Range Renovations ($30,000 – $65,000) – Includes adding tile backsplashes, moderately priced countertops, and cabinets, and upgrading floors and appliances.
- High-End Renovations ($65,000 and above) – generally includes adding custom cabinets, granite or stone countertops, overhead lighting, high-end EnergyStar appliances, hardwood flooring, and adding new sink and faucet.
How Much Does a Bathroom Remodeling Cost?
If you’re looking to renovate one bathroom, you won’t need nearly as much money.
However, the total cost is always dependent on how many components you want to replace.
Older plumbing systems, for example, may still include lead pipes, which may discharge particles that affect the quality of drinking water.
It is currently illegal to install lead-based plumbing systems.
If you still have these old pipes, you should think about replacing them—changing a whole plumbing system may be expensive.
Ask these questions to help you understand the essential points:
- Is it better to replace the bathtub with a shower or the other way around?
- Is it necessary to replace my plumbing?
- Should I get a new shower stall?
- Do I want to replace the floor and ceiling tiles entirely?
- Is it possible to upcycle existing furniture and appliances, or do I have to purchase new items? Is it necessary to order bespoke parts, or can I buy standard sizes?
The average cost of remodeling a bathroom is $125 per square foot, but bathroom renovation may cost anything from $2,500 to $25,000 or more.
The cost of new cabinets alone may account for up to 30% of the total cost.
Bathroom remodeling projects, like kitchen renovations, have a wide variety of costs based on the quality of the cabinets, countertops, and fixtures you choose.
Basement Renovation Costs
Basement renovations range in price from $11,000 to$30,000, with an average cost of $20,000. Some projects may require more than $40,000 in funding.
Depending on the area’s remodeling house plan and condition, renovating the basement may be a considerable task.
Installing flooring, constructing walls, running electrical or plumbing lines, and furnishing the space all contribute to the total cost.
Adding a bathroom to the basement is one of the more expensive renovation choices since it requires hiring a plumber, installing plumbing, and purchasing the needed equipment.
Cost of Roof Renovation
The cost of a new roof can be anything from $5,500 to$10,500, with an average of $8,000.
Although roofs typically last 20 to 30 years, you may want to consider updating them along with the rest of your home.
The overall cost depends on variables such as roof size, roof slope, application, and materials.
Old House or Apartment Renovation Costs
Aside from the $25,000 to $75,000 that the typical homeowner spends on a home repair, older houses are likely to have additional problems.
In general, the older a house is, the more hidden expenses are likely to be lingering behind its doors and walls.
Older houses, for example, may need extra work to update wiring, plumbing, and other systems, making your renovation more costly and time-consuming.
Historic Homes: To preserve a historic home’s worth, you should try to keep its external appearance as original as possible. Various towns have rules regulating what you can and can’t do when renovating a historic house or a home in a historic district. However, these policies usually only apply to the structure’s façade.
Always get advice from your local zoning agency. Historic houses on the National Register of Historic Places may be eligible for special grants and other aid to help them stay in good repair. Still, they don’t necessarily limit what you may do during a renovation.
Code Requirements: When you renovate your home, you must bring it up to current code requirements. Almost often, this entails completely new electrical wiring and plumbing.
Other articles you may also like:
- How Much Does it Cost to Replace a Carpet in an Apartment?
- How Much Does It Cost to Clean an Apartment?
- How Much Does Water Cost Per Month in an Apartment?
- How Much Does it Cost to Furnish an Apartment?
- How Much Does it Cost to Turn a Basement into an Apartment?
- Is Paying More for a Nicer Apartment Worth It?